Friday, 15 June 2012

DIY Lush Angels on Bare Skin

“Sincere forgiveness isn't colored with expectations that the other person apologize or change. Don't worry whether or not they finally understand you. Love them and release them. Life feeds back truth to people in its own way and time.”


- Sara Paddison

Whoop-de-doop-de-doop-de!  I have nearly handed in my final folder!  It will be handed in today with 2 essays to finish over the next week - I am so excited.

I just took a quick look at my list from Wednesday....I have been tidying up my clothes in the morning, but I haven't really been doing any of the other bits (apart from maybe putting together some ideas for our bedroom - you can see them here).  Also managed to find a beautiful gold ornate picture frame in someones front garden ...we're going to paint it a different color and add it to our starters collection of picture frames and mirrors.

I haven't applied for any jobs...BUT BUT BUT I will do one today (which will take me a while) and then one every weekday from Monday. 

Well...on with the theme for today.  I think I will do ermmmmmmmm making.

As I am concerned with trying to make a maximum of anything I buy ethical and good for humans, a while back I become interested in the ingredients in shower gel, moisturizers etc (explanation why here and even better article here).  At first I thought I would have to start using the expensive alternatives sold in Lush or Health Food shops like Jurlique or Weleda(out of the two I would choose Weleda).  But when you're feeling a bit poor it is hard to justify spending £10 on moisturizer instead of healthy food....so I started thinking and looking up recipes for DIY moisturizer and face washes.

Seeing as one of lush's face washes - Angels on Bare Skin is my favorite I thought I would look up a recipe for that first - hey presto!  I found two....loads of other people had already had the same idea and they had added experience which made it a lot easier for me to start making it myself! The recipe for the face wash is here - it is SOOOO easy and quick (took me about 10 minutes to make 2 lots). I didn't have any almonds so I used mixed crushed nuts, linseed and dried lavender buds along with added orange flower water and lavender oil (as these parts are really your choice).   

I am yet to make the moisturizer as I have been enjoying mixing the organic base moisturizer with almond oil and different essential oils...BUT I did have an amazing link with thousands of recipes on, but I can't find it.  I have found this one though.  

Although it seems like a massive effort (OK, and realistically - it isn't as easy as picking up a bottle of lotion on your way home) - it is really fun and satisfying to be able to know exactly what is going on your skin (the biggest organ of your body).  Lots of people have mentioned that it must be really expensive, but actually, it cost me (or Aaron actually) about £55 to buy all the base ingredients: glycerine, almond oil, organic base moisturizer (1 ltr tub), coconut fat, coconut butter, white clay and lavender.  

But £55 is a great investment - as a very rough guesstimate I will be able to make at least 20 pots of facewash (£2.75 a pot compared to £7 in lush) - and we have been using the base moisturizer for 4 weeks now and it's only half way through....And that's not even considering the really easy face masks that can be made from the clay alone. Oh, and also the amazingly easy way to add glycerine, odorless alcohol (like high quality vodka), water and essential oils to make your own perfume!! 

Note: make sure the kitchen surfaces and pots you are going to mix up and store in are boiled and cleaned so you can be sure they will not go moldy!  

Hopefully next week I will be able to get some jojoba oil (which apparently is great for conditioning hair too) and a thermometer (to measure the heat of the water and keep it constant whilst mixing the components together) and then I will be posting about my homemade recipes! 

I hope this post will inspire people to think about what get's put on your skin on a daily basis and to start making some of your own home made products!!  

2 comments:

Kat (dollyrouge.ie) said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for linking back to my post on making your own Angels on Bare Skin. Hope it works well for you! x

Katie M R Pitts said...

Thanks!! It is great...sorry I didn't moderate my comments before:) Hope you are well xxx